There are several nationally and internationally recognized institutes located in North Karelia, including the European Forest Institute (EFI), the Research Centre of the Finnish Forest Research Institute (METLA), and the high-tech workshop of wood product technology, Puugia. The geological and environmental research is also active in the region.
Hot topics in current research programmes are as follows: laser in forest inventory, the effects of climate change on forests, forest technology and GIS, wood energy, multiobjective forest planning, modelling of forest growth, and the valuation of forest benefits.
All research organizations participate in several EU funded projects and there is on-going research and development co-operation with forestry companies and other forestry organisations.
6 records found in EUROFOREST Portal
- Geologian tutkimuskeskus (GTK)
• Geological Survey of Finland (GTK)
- Itä-Suomen yliopisto - Mekrijärven tutkimusasema
• University of Eastern Finland - Mekrijärvi Research Station
- Itä-Suomen yliopisto - Metsätieteiden osasto
• University of Eastern Finland - School of Forest Sciences
- Metla Joensuu Research Unit
• Metsäntutkimuslaitos (Metla) - Joensuun toimintayksikkö
- Metsäalan tulevaisuusfoorumi
• Future Forum on Forests of Finland
- Uusiutuva metsäteollisuus
• Forest Industry Future [Finland]